Sunday, 21 April 2013

Tell tale signs

So how comes I have not gone lost yet? The Way is very well indicated:

The traditional signs is an abstract scallop in the colors of the EU. Or just the scallop, carved/painted on stones. In between such signs, hand-painted yellow arrows on the pavements indicate direction.

In La Rioja, the local government overdid it by putting signs every kilometer, indicating how many kilometers to Santiago...T.M.I. particularly considering there are still over 400km to go. In villages, crucial buildings have the scallop painted on the wall, discretely on the corners. With the time one gets a feeling where these signs are, they become very obvious to the connoisseur. As a general roule, info in guidebook suffice to find the way and no additional maps or even a compass is needed.

I read somewhere that there are butterflies along the way and one realizes to be off, when there are none.... Nice legend, which I can't confirm: Too early for butterflies I guess!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment