Sunday, 14 April 2013

Last day in Navarra

I slept in the vilage of Torres del Rio, 40 inhabitants and according to a lady carrying a white puddle in her arm (which I happen to ask for directions) "the other 39 people are superfluous": I think I just met the most popular person in the village.

Besides a large church, Torres Surprises with a chapel dedicated to the holy sepulcre:I knew about the crusades and the Knights of the Holy Sepulcre in Jerusalem, but did not expect one here: An octagonal chapel with almost no decoration or furniture inside but a crucifix. The guard is now a talkative lady (the one pictured left) rather than a knight, who charges one euro to explain that last year whilst the main church was being renovated, a woman died in the village, but her corpse was not allowed in for a last mass, as the chapel needed to be kept pure.

Summary: After walking 165km across the kingdom of Navarra, with some snow in the Pyrenees temperatures getting warmer by the day, sun replacing clouds and nature weaking up after this long winter, I crossed today Viana, with its hudge cathedral (where the son of pope Alexandre VI, Cesar Borgia, nobleman, cardinal and military general lays buried) and its beautiful town hall.
....And I am now officially leaving Navarra to enter the autonomous region of La Rioja - yes, it isn't just a wine label :-)
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment