Having an nun as an aunt, I have slept in a (nun) convent before. However, it is quite different to sleep in a XIII century convent run by Clarisian nuns, who live fully secluded from outside world, only exiting the convent to seek medical assistance, attend important meetings and voting. In Carrión de los Condes, I spent a night in such a convent: The hostel is in a separate wing of the convent and the recepionist is a layman, as the nuns do not normally talk to the pilgrims.
I have a friend of a friend, a young, bright, attractive women from a very wealthy family, well travelled, who decided one day to give up everything and become a Clarisian nun, seclude herself from the outside, including her (devastated) family for the rest of her life.... And whilst I think about ultimate sacrifice, another pilgrim said these women must have been deeply hurt by society: Whoever is right, this place is unique!
(My room is just above the entrance door)


No comments:
Post a Comment