Thursday, 11 April 2013

Fuente de Vinos / Wine Fountain

"Over seven bridges you must go"... This one spans above the river Salado (salty river) that according to a XII manuscript said "the water in this river is so poisonous that any horse drinking from it, dies immediately" I had a pick-nick over looking the green water.... "no one can swim in the same river twice " goes a Spanish saying.
Soon after I arrived at Estella Lizarra. In the eleven century, king of navarra invited French colons to come and also channeled the Jakobsway way through it (at the time it passed more south). The city prospered and became the most important stop on the Jacobsway. It boast 4 large churches, a palace of the kings of Navarra (on the picture) bustling city squares and along the curling river Ega, described by the XII century manuscript as "very clean".
On the outskirts, I passed the Fuente de Vinos (wine fountain) where the Bodegas of Iriche invites pilgrims to a glass of their red (and water for the non drinkers, though I have met none so far on the Way)

No comments:

Post a Comment