Sunday, 12 May 2013

Santiago Q&A

Twice a day, city tours by local guides take place. I was lucky as not only the sun was shining, but I was the only one on the tour, so that I could ask for two hours all the questions I wanted such as:

Q: Are the relicts in silver box kept in cathedral's crypt really the ones from Jesus' apostle? A: As far as I am aware, no one opened the box and no DNA test has been done yet.


Q: Why are there three main entrances to the cathedral? A: One is the official, the other for pilgrims and the third is only opened when 25th of July falls in a Sunday. Walking through the the later on said occasion, absolves automatically every pilgrim from his/her sin. I managed to put half my hand...

 

Q: Why are there so many silver (jewelry) shops in Santiago? A: One reason are the silver mines nearby, but more importantly to recycle the many kilos of silver coins the pilgrims offered to Santiago (using the local found jet gagat/black jasper stone).

 

Q: What is the history of my hotel (Parador Reyes Católicos) A: Hospital built in 1486, the first to have a urgency room, to separate men and woman patients and also to contain a hotel, making it the oldest hotel of the world still running.

 

Q: ...and view from my room? A: You to judge....

PS. My bed had a baldachin!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment