Friday, 3 May 2013

O Cebreiro

Finally crossed border between kingdom of Castilla y León to enter into third and last ancient kingdom on this trip, Galicia. Around three million people live here, with their own language (very close to Portuguese) and capital city Santiago. The border stone is full of graffiti, which raises the question if this is art or just pollution....

 

This means that I have only one third more to walk (around 200km) before redeeming all my sins. After climbing up to 1500m to O Cebreiro, where I spend the night (with no wifi), from now on the landscape will be green and hilly until arriving at Europe's most western point. Galicia is ancient land of celts, national instrument is the back-pipe and people are fair, many ginger people, character-wise very reserved. Famous Galician people include Julio Iglesias (and Enrique to some degree) as well as Fidel (and Raul) Castro. It's also country of rain, and their tourist slogan was "where rain is art": I hope to see more sun that art though!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment